- Start off slow! Try a mile at a slow pace, walk intermittently as needed. Increase distance and pace as you are ready.
- Stretch! Stretching before and after will help prevent injuries and improve your overall jogging. 5-10 minutes before and after is recommended.
- Use proper form! This will allow you to utilize your energy efficiently. Focus on keeping your arms and shoulders back and your back straight. Relax your hands. Take long, even breaths.
- Get good running shoes! A good pair of shoes will absorb impact and give your body the support it needs. This is an important part of preventing injury.
- Add weightlifting! Weight lifting will strengthen your muscles and enhance your jogging by helping you to jog longer and faster and help prevent injuries.
- Carbs are good! Eat healthy carbs to fuel your body. Good sources include fruits and vegetables.
- Plan! Decide what days you are going to run and how far you plan to go. Stick to a schedule
- Vary your route! Change things up so you don't get bored.
- Enter a race! You don't have to win! Just set personal goals, grab a friend to join you and go have some fun. It is a great way to get yourself motivated.
- Rest at least 2 days! Take at least 2 days off per week to recover. Your body needs the rest.
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Jogging Tips for Beginners
How many times has someone told you, "I don't run"? I know several people who started out that way and now really enjoy running/jogging. If you are not a runner and don't know how you ever will be, there are some ways to help you out. There are many health benefits to jogging and it really can be enjoyable.