It is everywhere you look and it is not just food anymore. You know it is fall when the Pumpkin Spice products fill the shelves. Do you Pumpkin Spice?
I like the standard pumpkin spice coffee and I love pumpkin cake and muffins. My son likes pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are pretty good...but what about all of this other stuff?
What do you think? Is it a little overboard? Maybe with the Pumpkin Spice, but the actual pumpkin has some great health benefits. If you can find a way to use a real pumpkin to provide your spice you can reap these benefits:
- Pumpkins keep your eyes sharp - full of Vitamin A
- Pumpkins aid weight loss - fiber rich
- Pumpkin seeds can help your heart - phytoserols help reduce LDL
- Pumpkins may reduce cancer risk - antioxidant beta carotene
- Pumpkins protect the skin - carotenoids help reduce wrinkles
- Pumpkin seeds can boost your mood - tryptophan also important in the production of serotonin
- Pumpkins can help after a workout - Potassium
- Pumpkins can boost immune system - source of Vitamin C
Happy Fall from Mayers Memorial Hospital District!