Cold spells and winter storms have already targeted many parts of the country. Here in Fall River Mills, California it was 14 degrees this beautiful Monday morning. It is time to make sure we are prepared for winter. A few simple steps can help you be sure to have a safe and warm winter.
For your home:
- Check weather stripping, insulation, vents and storm doors and windows.
- Insulate water lines and faucets.
- Inspect and clean fireplaces, woodstoves and chimneys.
- Check roof for leaks and damage.
- Install/check smoke detector (replace batteries if needed)
- Have a safe alternative heat source available.
- Be aware and know about signs/symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
For your car:
- Service the radiator, check antifreeze.
- Use a winter formula in you windshield washer.
- Keep an emergency kit in your trunk:
- food and water
- booster cables, flares, tire pump, sand or cat litter for traction on ice
- flashlight, radio and batteries
- first aid kit
- extra warm clothes, gloves, etc.
- Be prepared for power outages with extra bottled water and food
- Keep cell phone charged and have an "old school" phone that requires no electricity
- Be aware of weather conditions when planning travel
- Keep batteries, flashlights and lamps
- Keep first aid kit stocked
- Wear appropriate clothing, layers, hats, gloves, boots, etc.
- Maintain icy patches on sidewalks, driveways
- Carry a cell phone
Winter is on its way, MMHD encourages you to be prepared with the above tips and suggestions.