There are many reasons to mark your calendar for a life saving appointment on July 15, 2014. If you are eligible, it is a great time to contribute to life. The Mayers Memorial Hospital Blood Drive is scheduled for Tuesday, July 15 from 1:30 – 5:30 pm at the Fall River Seventh Day Adventist Church.
You can pre-schedule your appointment by calling (530)221-0600 or visiting www.bloodheroes.com (click “donate blood” and enter sponsor code FRM).
Here are a few facts about blood and blood donation:
1. More than 4.5 million patients need blood transfusions each year in the U.S. and Canada.
2. 43,000 pints: amount of donated blood used each day in the U.S. and Canada.
3. Someone needs blood every two seconds.
4. Only 37 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood – less than 10 percent do annually.
5. About 1 in 7 people entering a hospital need blood.
6. One pint of blood can save up to three lives.
7. Healthy adults who are at least 17 years old, and at least 110 pounds may donate about a pint of blood—the most common form of donation—every 56 days, or every two months. Females receive 53 percent of blood transfusions; males receive 47 percent.
8. 94 percent of blood donors are registered voters.
9. Four main red blood cell types: A, B, AB and O. Each can be positive or negative for the Rh factor. AB is the universal recipient; O negative is the universal donor of red blood cells.
10. Dr. Karl Landsteiner first identified the major human blood groups – A, B, AB and O – in 1901.