Friday, June 24, 2016

Run for Julie



It was the summer of 2013 and I was preparing for my first half marathon. I was feeling unsure and very nervous. I don't know if she sensed it, but a co-worker came alongside and offered me encouragement every time she saw me at work.

Julie McCullough was an EMT at Mayers Memorial Hospital. She also an avid runner and had completed many half marathons. Her kindness, compassion and advice were a significant part of me being able to complete my first half-marathon.

After the race weekend, she was the first to ask how it went and congratulate me on my accomplishment. She asked if I wanted to participate in a run she really liked, the Biz Johnson Half Marathon. That fall it wasn't going to work for me, but I thought, yes the next year (2014) I would definitely participate.

During the next year, Julie was diagnosed with brain cancer and we lost an amazing co-worker and friend at MMHD this summer.

We put out the word to our staff...


BEFORE YOU SAY NO “I Don’t Run…” Think about this…
This is a large challenge – something hard to endure and probably not something most of us want to do. It won’t be easy. For these reasons it will be a meaningful tribute to a person who loved to run. 


In honor of Julie and her love of running, 25 people representing MMHD participated in the Biz Johnson Half Marathon in October 2014.  Many of the participants were truly not runners and it was a big feat for them to tackle. Runners collected pledges to establish a fund to establish a scholarship in memory of Julie. 

The tradition continues.  MMHD participated again in 2015 and we have awarded two scholarships in Julie's memory.  It is that time again.  TEAM MAYERS is gearing up and training for the October 8, 2016 Biz Johnson.  We invite you to join us by participating or pledging. 

Again. we will accomplish and complete these 13.1 miles...with Julie whispering words of encouragement each step of the way.








No comments:

Post a Comment