American Heart Month is meant to provide awareness and education about heart disease and how people can prevent it.
What is Heart Disease?
Each type of heart disease has a different symptom, but there are also many similarities. Heart disease encompasses a number of abnormal conditions affecting the heart and blood vessels in the heart.
There are many tests that can diagnose possible heart disease. These often depend on risk factors, history of heart problems and current symptoms.
Heart Disease Risk Factors:
- High Blood Pressure
- High Blood Cholesterol
- Diabetes and pre-diabetes
- Being overweight
- Being physically inactive
- Family history of heart disease
- History of preeclampsia during pregnancy
- Unhealthy diet
- Age 55 or older for women